Veeam Availability Orchestrator automates DR fail-over, fail-back, testing and documentation creation for VMware vSphere. Historically it has only supported Veeam backups and replicas, but the latest release adds orchestration of storage array replication for NetApp ONTAP based systems.
Let’s take a quick look at the key capabilities:
- Orchestrate DR – create workflows to automate recovery operations
- DR testing – automate the verification of recovery plans, with isolated and low-impact testing of VMs and their applications
- Meet DR compliance – generate documentation for DR procedures to eliminate the problem of outdated DR plans
VAO supports a number of deployment scenarios including:
- Orchestrate fail-over based on Veeam replication jobs
- Orchestrate restore based on Veeam backup jobs
- Orchestrate storage fail-over based on NetApp SnapMirror application-aware snapshot replication
Historically customers have considered VMware Site Recovery Manager for storage fail-over orchestration, but this has proved to be too expensive for many – at least for ONTAP customers there is now a more affordable option. Once again this demonstrates how closely Veeam and NetApp are working together and that ONTAP based systems (AFF, FAS, ONTAP Select and Cloud Volumes ONTAP) have the best integration with Veeam.
If you are a Veeam customer and you are not already using ONTAP then do take a look at it, likewise if you are an ONTAP customer, but not using Veeam I would highly recommend considering the benefits of combining the technologies – they are truly taking data protection to the next level.